Friday, July 3, 2015

FRANCES HA (2012)

The first time I watched Frances Ha I didn’t like it – it was right on the heels of Girls and I was kind of over the whole hyper-aware, drenched in post-adolescent ennui schtick that pops up in every mumblecore film. (in my defense, how can you not hate something that gives itself a name as dumb as MUMBLECORE on principle). But last year my friend forced me to re-watch it and I actually enjoyed watching it. I’m glad I gave it a second (and third) chance, because on repeat viewings I found myself drawn into this story about a charming, unconventional dancer in New York.


It’s a deceptively simple film with a surprising amount of heart and depth, reflected in the film’s costumes. There’s a realism in the costume choices that isn’t often seen on screen. Unlike a typical, film where characters have an assortment of completely different costumes depending on the scene, Frances has a very specific (and small) wardrobe, consisting of loose dresses, capri leggings, overshirts, and a leather jacket.




The prototypical Frances outfit, she spends the entire film in some variation of this. It's actually a really great example of characterization through clothes. Everything she wears is well-worn, oversized, and a bit sloppy - but she manages to pull it off with surprisingly flair.




The plaid shirt carries from a variety of social situations, from lounging at home, to working at the studio, to dinner out with Sophie (also notice the contrast between Frances and Sophie in the last image - Sophie's rigidly conservative cardigan and pencil skirt and Frances's disheveled appearance.)


Not the best shot, but I love the sweater-around-the-waist (you can see an example of it above with her plaid shirt). Practical and unpolished, that's our girl. 





Her wardrobe does a really subtle shift at the end that's quite brilliant. 


Professional Frances! With glasses!! Her shirt is still wrinkled, but look how much more "grown up" she looks here than the earlier shot of her in the forest with the hoodie-over-dress-over-jeans look. 


Ditto with her outfit that she wore to the opening of her show - very tasteful & adult.


The final scene of the film - compare this with the very first scene (pictured above). Simple and cohesive, reflecting Frances's final coming-to-terms with herself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment