Monday, June 22, 2015

I AM LOVE (2009)


You know that feeling when you randomly stumble on a film and you watch it and you’re just like “THIS IS PERFECT WHERE HAS THIS BEEN FOR MY ENTIRE LIFE.” Because I watched Luca Guadagnino‘s I Am Love this weekend and was blown away by it’s elegant & deceptively simple costumes (and story, but we’re all about the clothes here). I Am Love features my androgynous alien queen Tilda Swinton as Emma, a Russian émigrée turned matriarch of a wealthy Italian family, who spends the film navigating some intense family melodrama while wearing a series of increasingly fierce Jil Sander dresses. (In yet another tragedy, costume design Antonella Cannarozzi was nominated for an Academy Award but lost to Colleen Atwood for Alice in Wonderland.)


I love the subtle progression of colors and textures in Emma’s wardrobe as it reflects her emotional state throughout the film. I think the costume choices speak for themselves:




















No comments:

Post a Comment